This is a question I have to keep reminding myself of when I buy the ingredients for my skin care and body care products. It is sometimes tempting to buy non-organic ingredients as they are much cheaper, but this is the only reason. These are some of the many advantages of organic farming which makes it worth paying for the special care these farmers place on protecting the environment, wildlife and our health….
- Pesticides are severely restricted. Organic farming control pests and diseases naturally.
- Pesticides pollute farmland and workers.
- Pesticides drift through the air as odourless, invisible poisons polluting nearby areas.
- Pesticides are carried into the sea and cause dead zones in the oceans, as in the Gulf of Mexico, according to Science magazine, August 2002.
- Pesticides affect wildlife. Watch the incredible film, “The Vanishing of the Bees” which reveals the shocking truth behind the declining bee population.
- Biodiversity is promoted. Organic farms are havens for wildlife and provide homes for bees, birds and butterflies. In fact, the UK Government’s own advisors found that plant, insect and bird life is up to 50% greater on organic farms.
- Pesticides can affect our health and cause diseases. Unborn babies are already exposed to hundreds of harmful chemicals. According to the National Academy of Science, “neurologic and behavioral effects may result from low-level exposure to pesticides.” Numerous studies show that pesticides can adversely affect the nervous system, increase the risk of cancer, and decrease fertility.
- Artificial chemical fertilisers are banned. The loss of top soil due to mono-cropping and chemical fertilisers in the US costs $40 billion per year. Organic farming develops nutrient rich soil which increases nutrients and minerals in plants. Therefore the organic oils contain a higher level of nutrients and anti-oxidants.
- Genetically modified (GM) crops are banned under organic standards.
- Less greenhouse gases are produced so reduces your carbon footprint.
This is why!